Friday, December 26, 2008

Happy New Year!

Pakse, Laos

Today left Siem Reap, Cambodia, and the glories of Angkor and flew to southern Laos, Pakse. Tomorrow leaving for Wat Phu, the most significant wat in Laos (historically and archaeologically speaking) . Taking a 2 hr. boat ride from Pakse, staying at the small town outside the temple called Champasak through Monday morning, then heading for Don Khon, part of what the Laotians call the 4,000 Island area. Very rural there. Electricity from generators and the whole bit but sounds like an interesting place to spend New Year's. This part is more of a break for the holidays from the official part of my trip. I'll be checking out waterfalls and the inside of a hammock while staying at the Auberge Sala Don Khone, a converted French-era hospital.


Gratuitous shot of Cambodian-style bath (using a
bowl, pour water from large jar over body)
and

Hannah's morning hair

Considering stopping at Asa National Archaeological park between Wat Phu and Don Khon, but it's a little unclear how to get there so I'll just get a sense when I'm in Champasak whether it'd be smart. Regardless, it looks like I'll be signing off the internet world for the next week starting tonight. Planning to bus back from Don Khone to the Pakse Hotel (and the internet) on Jan. 1! (Jan. 2 at the latest.)

Just ate at an Indian/Malay place and had my prawn curry with garlic naan that was so piping hot, it actually burned my fingers. Yum. With some Beerlao, I was a happy Wong. Speaking of dinner, last night I met some friends of new friends at the Siem Reap Old Market area while eating at a little stand. (Dinner and beer: $1.50) What a small world, and what a nice little conversation we had. I asked Ezra (the guy on the far right) about the Cambodian language. He's a newly graduated English lit major. Impressive, eh?


My fav outdoor stall at the Old Market, Siem Reap, with friends of new friends

Wong signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment