Pete and Bindu arrived here on Weds from the foreign land of England--loooong trip half-way across the world. They were so glad to be back in the US, I think Bindu almost got teary-eyed when they walked through immigration and the peeps said, "Welcome home!"
The next day, I decided to complete a personal Hawaii ritual and traditionally birthday event--afternoon high tea at the Moana Surfrider Hotel on Waikiki beach. (The hotel is supposedly the oldest on Waikiki and has a grand, Victorian feel. I love it. They've got their history online.) Usually, I go with my aunt, but I didn't have any available takers on Thurs. So I went alone and journaled a bunch, drank some beautiful tea, and experienced the ocean under a veranda and their famous, really old, gorgeous banyan tree (about 75 feet tall, 150 feet wide and almost as old as the hotel). And the ocean is so interesting to watch, esp. on a windy, cloudy day like Thurs. where the clouds and texture of the water are constantly changing.

Where all the tea, scones, and finger sandwiches happen. (Hotel pic)
Anyway, it was basically the definition of lovely to be there amidst such finery (silver service and the trimmings) and beauty. It also gave me another way of coming down off of the SE Asia part of my trip. I went from being alone and traveling, traveling, traveling to being with my family in such an unusual context. (This is the first time my whole nuclear family has been back in Hawaii at the same time since my grandmother died 5 years ago. ) I got to look, feel the breeze, think, drink, and talk to God--the joys of living, y'all.
Funeral is tomorrow, so it was particularly good to think out some things. Thanks again for all the prayers.
No comments:
Post a Comment