Monday, January 5, 2009

One Day Left

Luang Prabang, Laos. Tuesday, Jan. 6.

in this incredible city.

Yesterday, Kathi (an American woman I met who's just started off a 5 mo trek around the world--we've become roommies sharing lots of costs and conversation--great!) and I took a ferry ride just across the Mekong River to visit a few wats off the tourist-beaten path. (See below and next entry for more on this tale.)

But before we headed overseas (heh heh), we visited Wat Xieng Thong, the city's centerpiece wat. Small and interesting. Shiny mosaics (not just opaque glass) embedded in many of the outer walls of temple and curious, enjoyable use of neutral space. Not the explosion of many colors filling almost all available temple surfaces as in Bangkok (remember the pic of mom?) or even Phenom Penh. Figures remind me of the American "folk art" in their use of perspective and "simple" treatment of facial features and physiology. Not that I didn't like the other stuff, but the style was refreshing.


Wong at Wat Xieng Thong

Here's what was in the small chapel I'm standing in...


One of the most striking Buddhas I've seen. Can't put my finger on why.

And look at this beauty, another small chapel at the same wat. It housed a royal funerary chariot.



Mainly people head to a nearby waterfall and caves but with the changes to the itin, I've decided to stay close to this fantastic city. Just across the river are a few less visited temples: Wat Long Khun (supposedly traditional retreat for kings before they ascend the throne), Wat Tham Xieng Maen (in a limestone cave), and Wat Chom Phet (on top of a hill).

Today, going to grab a late, late lunch of grilled fish (!) at the market, head to the National Palace Museum in town, and then climb up to another wat to see the sunset with Kathi. We bumped into some awesome French guys I met in southern Laos, so we'll be having dinner with them tonight. Fun times, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment